1) When a family member needs to be in a nursing home its essential to visit as random times to ensure the best care for your loved one. When the staff at the nursing home see that your family is visiting they will provide better care for your loved one.
2) Things that can go wrong in a nursing home at night include:
- Staffing ratio of caregiver to patient to save money leads to compromised personal care
- Staff shortages result in patients going with inadequate care
- Caregivers have been known to triple diapers on a patient to avoid having to change linens
3) In interviewing CNAs they have shared confidentially that they have observed some caregivers who that pretend to wash patients hair by just adding watered to their head to give the appearance of having been bathed.
4) Food is presented at times without taking proper care to make sure the patient can easily utilize utensils and reach the food easily.
Tips and key questions to keep in mind:
- Have you properly educated yourself on the care your loved one will get at the facility?
- Do the meals appear to be nutritious and appetizing?
- What is the turnover rate of staff?
- What’s is the staff to patient ratio on each shift?
- Do the residents seem to be happy and engaged?
- Do the residents appear to be groggy or overmedicated?
- Are the residents clean and well groomed?
- Are the residents feet and toenails kept clean?
- Does the environment appear to be clean?
- Does it smell like urine or deodorant to cover up the smell?
There’s no more important decision than finding the right caregiver for your loved one. To learn more about getting the finest of in home care Los Angeles or Beverly Hills in home care for your loved one call A Better Way In Home Care today at: (323) 650-2211.