A healthy diet helps to keep the body strong and fit. As people grow older, there are many changes that they undergo. Their bodies become weak, and their state of mind is also affected. They also become vulnerable to different types of diseases. One way of ensuring that an elderly stays physically and mentally fit is by providing a healthy diet. Healthy eating can help an elderly person to regain lost energy and also enables one to be mentally stable.
Why the elderly need a healthy diet
Before we look at the components of healthy eating, it would be good look at what the elderly stand to gain by following a healthy diet. Here are some of the benefits of a healthy diet.
- Improves the immune system: Most elderly tend to be taken down by many different diseases. As one grows older, the body’s immune system becomes weaker, making the person vulnerable to many diseases. A healthy diet improves the body’s ability to fight off diseases, making the person healthy.
- Stronger body: A healthy diet contains different nutrients which nourish different parts of the body. The bones of an elderly are weak, and this can affect the functioning of their body. The same applies to the teeth. They tend to be weaker as one grows old. Some vitamins and minerals play a significant role in strengthening bones and teeth.
- Better mental strength: The mental health of an elderly is likely to be affected as one grows older. Most seniors are faced with the problem of making proper judgments, and one cause of this problem is poor mental health. Instead of going to the pharmacy to buy drugs, you can just use home-made foods. Some types of food act as brain boosters. They improve the performance of the brain and sharpen the mind of the individual.
- Happier and longer living: No single person wants to die, or at least not prematurely. Do you know that one secret of long living is eating a healthy diet? A disease-free person can live longer. The moods of the elderly can be influenced by the type of foods that they eat. A healthy meal will improve their mood and make them feel happy about life. A less nutritious meal can dampen a person’s mood.
What does a healthy diet consist of?
The diet of an elderly is quite similar to that of any other person. The only difference is that this diet should be tailored to meet the needs of an old person. Also, the mode of food preparation is different from what the younger generation can take. In choosing a healthy diet plan for the elderly, you should consider vital facts such as allergic reactions and genetic factors.
A healthy diet plan should include the following:
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables in their natural forms are rich in vital nutrients, such as vitamins. It is always recommended to use colorful fruits like berries, ripe bananas and melons, and leafy vegetables.
- Calcium: Calcium is mostly found in dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt. The nutrient helps with strengthening bones and teeth.
- Proteins: Lean proteins can assist in the replacement of dead cells and tissues. The source of lean proteins includes dairy products and legumes.
- Omega 3: The role of Omega 3 is to improve the performance of the brain, something that the elderly much need.
Without proper help, an elderly will easily ignore a proper diet. A Brentwood home caregiver is the right person that can help seniors to stick to a healthy eating program. The caregivers have been well trained to provide the best services to their clients.